Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort BPF.filter doesn't work

From: Robert Millott <robm () millottandassociates com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:01:57 -0400

The problem I had was that I was trying to filter on the address
192.168.1.1.  src and dst addresses were the addresses of the GRE tunnel,
so they did not match the src and dst address filters I had in place.
 Within the gre encapsulated packet was the address 192.168.1.1 and that is
what set the snort alert off, but since it wasn''t the packets src or dst
address, the bpf filter didn't catch it.  To fix it, I added gre to the bpf
filter, ie

not (proto gre or host address 192.168.1.1)

I chose to drop all GRE packets, figuring I would catch the traffic im
looking for when it isn't encapsulated. Then I could filter the 192.168.1.1
traffic.

Hope that helps someone else

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>