Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort BPF.filter doesn't work

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:26:45 -0400

On 7/10/2014 2:13 PM, Robert Millott wrote:
All
    Finally figured it out.  Thanx Jeremy for leading me in the right direction.
The traffic I was looking at was GRE encapsulated, so while the bpf filters were
ignoring packets based on src and dst ip address, the snort rules were seeing
the encapsulated data, which contained the 192.168.1.1 address snort was looking
for , and that's why snort alerts were firing despite my telling it to drop
those addresses.

so... ummm... what was the solution so that others running into the same problem
might find it instead of posting about the same problem in the future? ;)