Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort BPF.filter doesn't work

From: Robert Millott <robm () millottandassociates com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:13:14 -0400

All
   Finally figured it out.  Thanx Jeremy for leading me in the right
direction. The traffic I was looking at was GRE encapsulated, so while the
bpf filters were ignoring packets based on src and dst ip address, the
snort rules were seeing the encapsulated data, which contained the
192.168.1.1 address snort was looking for , and that's why snort alerts
were firing despite my telling it to drop those addresses.

Thanx again everyone for the help.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:38 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>