Snort mailing list archives

Re: a few questions...

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 11:41:34 -0400

On 7/8/2013 10:10, Russ Combs wrote:
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:

    can you provide a hint on what is considered as "Other" packets that my short
    run turned up? 125 of them makes me curious as to what is going on on that box
    that i'm not aware of ;)

They are cases where the decoding stopped due to an unsupported protocol, eg an
ethertype for which there is no decoder.  It could also be that available
decoders weren't built (./configure --enable-non-ether-decoders may help here).

done... along with --enable-sourcefire... will be testing shortly... i think
that box has IPv6 capability but nothing actively uses it that we know of...