Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snorting a Kismet tun/tap interface: Cannot decode data link type 105

From: Hayden Stainsby <hds () titanemail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:57:23 +0200

Thanks @Rmkml and James Lay, that was exactly what I was missing.

I needed to add "--enable-non-ether-decoders" to the configure options
before compiling, it now works perfectly.

Cheers,

Hayden

On 9 July 2013 14:34, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:

On Jul 9, 2013, at 5:40 AM, Hayden Stainsby <hds () titanemail com> wrote:

I am trying to snort (amongst other interfaces) a Kismet tun/tap
interface, and am receiving this error:

ERROR: Cannot decode data link type 105

When I went through the snort code, it looked as if 105 refers to
DLT_IEEE802_11, which makes sense given that I'm reading wireless data
out of kismet.

I've recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which is when I started
getting this error. I have tried with both the install that I had of
Snort 2.9.1 which was working before the upgrade and also a new
install of Snort 2.9.5, both produce the same error, but only for the
kistap1 device that Kismet creates, I am also using snort on eth0 and
wlan0 with no problems.

Right now I'm running it as root to test, so I don't think it's a
permission issue.

I've included the output running snort with no configuration file and
with the default configuration file below (the second one is quite
long, sorry about that).

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hayden

Compile with the addition of:

--enable-non-ether-decoders

James

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
chop($_=<>);@s=split/ /;foreach$m(@s){if($m=='*'){$z=pop@t;$x=

--
*
*
*
------------------------------
This email and any attachments are confidential, privileged and protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination or
copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error,
please notify the sender by replying by email and then delete the email
completely from your system. *
*Where the content of this email is personal or otherwise unconnected with
the Company or its business, Titan Entertainment Group accepts no
responsibility or liability for such content. *
*Internet email may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and
unauthorised amendment over which we have no control. Whilst sweeping all
outgoing email for viruses, we do not accept liability for the presence of
any computer viruses in this email or any losses caused as a result of
viruses.*