Snort mailing list archives

a few questions...

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 17:56:59 -0400

in response to another's query about how to compile the so dynamic rules, i set off to test my theory and understanding... i completed my task and have an executable snort 2.9.5 with what appears to be compiled so dynamic rules from snapshot-2.9.4.6...

this snort was compiled "straight"... in other words, nothing fancy... only the following...

./configure
make
make install

so there's a bit of background... if it is not complete enough, please ask me for additional information... now to my couple of questions...

1. i do have 14 compiled so dynamic rules files in my lib directory. snort does recognize them and appears to load them as can be seen in the execution output attached below. the question is why does snort report "0 Dynamic rules" when it is initializing the rule chains? there /are/ 72 rules stubs in the so_rules directory and they were created from the compiled rules by snort's --dump-dynamic-rules option... did i miss a change in the so_rules/src/Makefile other than changing the SNORT_VERSION entry?

2. when i terminate snort, the "Packet I/O Totals" count of processed doesn't make sense. it says 4054 received and analyzed but the "Breakdown by protocol" says there were 4057. where did the extra three packets come from? it also reports 125 "Other" packets. how can i find out what they are or were?

all the output from the execution is attached below (snort_execution.txt) and my snort.conf is attached after that (snort_conf.txt)...