Snort mailing list archives

Re: flowbits: netsenum

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:54:32 -0400

On May 30, 2013, at 5:24 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:
On 5/30/2013 16:28, Joel Esler wrote:
On May 30, 2013, at 4:05 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

what i ran into and the reason for my original posts, was that the bits were set
but there was nothing to check them... no indication of a SO only rule or just a
forgotten or commented out standard alert rule... that's why i ran my grep to
find out if there was a rule disabled by default for those flowbits setters...
if there was and it was disabled by default, then it might either need to be
enabled by default or the flowbits setter rule should also be disabled by default…

And it is much appreciated it. I love the feedback, I'm trying to make the "out
of the box" policy as good as I can get it, if you adjust from there, that's on you.

agreed! glad you appreciate the feedback... it helps to keep "us" from drinking
too much during "game time" ;) ;) O:)

We do appreciate the feedback, it's how we get better.

as far as SO rules go, i don't know about other environments but ours does not
use them by default... it requires specific and manual intervention to enable
them as well as making them work (generating the stubs in the proper place and
updating them when they change)... the fact that our environment it its own
distribution and not one of the big name brand one adds complication to the
process since they are distributed only in compiled form…

Well, from our perspective, we ship them in a "default" state. If people choose
not to use the SOs, or can't, then that's a use case we can't work around.

the main problem, as noted above, is that it is not easy to tell which OS
version compilation will work in our environment... at one time we were able to
use Centos-4.6 but that changed in later releases... then the Centos stuff
didn't work at all for a bit and folks were forced to disable the SO rules
because of snort crashing... i'm not sure which compilation might work these
days so it is not something supported out of our box... that's why i stated
"specific and manual intervention" ;)

when the drummer's drumbeat keeps changing beat count randomly and at random
points in time, it is best to find a sane and consistent drummer to march to
instead of keeping on stumbling and fumbling around... we've done that by
avoiding the SO rules in our official packages and support O:)

I understand what you are saying.  We follow a pretty strict EOL policy (http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy),
and we follow the same line of thinking for the OS builds on our backend that compile these as well.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT