Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Install successful - Need a proper database

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:31:13 -0500

On 11/20/2012 13:35, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
Hey Waldo,

I've installed snort and Barnyard2 and mysql. how do I run all of them and get
them to work and know if they're linked?

each is a separate process so each is started on its own... you already have
snort working, right? if not, then stop and get snort working first...

if snort is working, the next step would be to get the database operational...
yes, this seems out of order as snort is one end of the line and the database is
the other end but both have to be working before BY2 can enter the fray and move
the data from snort to the database...

in getting BY2 working, its operations configuration process tells what it looks
for (unified2 log file and file name) from snort and what it needs to access the
database (database server address, username, password, table name prefix??)...
you should already have followed the directions for creating the necessary
database tables for BY2 to use...

if snort is working, check the BY2 log file(s) to see that it is properly
reading the snort unified2 log file... also check that it can properly access
the database to inject the data... if this is all working, the next step would
be to query the database... just something simple to ensure that you can get the
data from those tables that BY2 should be writing to...

if all of that works, then it is all working and you only need some front end to
read the data in the database and correlate it for you...

NOTE: i've not actually performed the BY2 steps on any of my systems at this
time... i do have numerous snort installs working as well as numerous database
installs that work... i on;y need to see if i can get BY2 into the closed
environment we use and that's going to be the hardest part i think...

Regards,
Prashanth

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:13 AM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

    On 11/19/2012 14:38, k vijay sai prashanth wrote:
     > Hello Team,
     >
     > Please help me on this. I am close to completing my installation of
    snort. I can
     > feel it. Also if someone can tell me the relevance of Barnyard2. Everyone
    seems
     > to be discussing about this. How does it help me. Does it help me
    interpret the
     > logs of snort?

    as discussed in this thread -> Snortsam patch for 2.9.3.1 <- as a thread drift
    instigated by me, barnyard2 takes the output from snort and converts it to
    numerous other output formats so that snort can perform the busy job of sniffing
    the traffic and not having to worry about getting the output to the
    destination... snort writes the files that barnyard2 reads... then barnyard2
    handles getting the data into databases or feeding it to front ends... barnyard2
    can take all the time it needs while snort keeps on snorting and logging without
    slowing down...

           snort -> by2_input_files -> by2 -> database

    as for installing a database and creating the tables, install mysql and
    barnyard2... in the barnyard2 installation stuff, there will be something
    describe and possibly even create the tables you will need... from there, you
    can then choose what front end you want to use to peruse the data generated...

    personally, i'm this || close to taking the plunge and seeing what i can break
    in the closed environment we use over here ;)