Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Install successful - Need a proper database

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:31:28 -0500

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM, k vijay sai prashanth
<vijaysaiprashanth () gmail com> wrote:
All resolved now. Each time I start barnyard2 the events count is
incremented. So barnyard2 is feeding the events from snort to the mysql
database. Thanks Ron. Appreciate the advise. Sadly I am not sure which of
the steps rectified the issue.

The following are the changes I made which caused the installation to be
successful:

1. output alert_fast to output alert_fast: stdout.
2. change is barnyard.conf
4. changed the variables config hostname from thor to localhost.

None of those steps should influence database logging.

5. And make sure when you run barnyard2 using the below command the snort
process must already be running.

Barnyard2 can run without snort running.

3. Did a make clean on the barnyard2 installation and then did the
./configure --with-mysql.

If you first compiled barnyard2 with ./configure only and never
specified --with-mysql and you would have
conifgured barnyard2 with output database: xxxxxx

you should have got an error mentionning that it can't enable database
logging without being configured with
database support.

-elz