Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort against DARPA 1999 Dataset

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 23:35:59 -0500

On 11/6/2012 22:22, Zahra Hakimi wrote:
I don't know why should snort generate 99% alerts that less than 1% of them has
source or destination IP address same as my configured HOME_NET (172.16.112.50).
Are am right?

this depends on the rules you are running and what they are looking for... it is
very easy to make snort detect all traffic or no traffic... would those then be
true positives or false negatives? ;)

the rules and what they look for are extremely important... especially if you
consider that one might have HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET defined "backwards" which
could very well give the opposite results from what they think they should be
seeing...