Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log problems

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:36:23 -0500

On 11/28/2012 10:22, honeybadger () q com wrote:
Hey Ron,

Though it was my test rule but it is something else...

If I set up a test rule with tcp any any - > any any, but I get alerts and logging.

If I set the rule more specifically like: any any - > 192.168.1.50
any, nothing is captured. I am pinging the test machine

Tcpdump is showing traffic, trace route gets to the system fine.

what do you have HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET set as?

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Testing"; sid:1; rev:1;)
alert tcp any any -> 192.168.1.50 any (msg:"Testing"; sid:2; rev:1;)

is this what your two rules look like? these are taken from the one posted
earlier... however, i note that that one had an extra space after "->"... it
/shouldn't/ matter but stranger things have been seen ;)