Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log problems

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:23:08 -0600

Here's how snort works when coupled with barnyard2 and mysql.

Snort listens on a NIC and, when an alert is triggered, writes to a
unified2 log file.

So, step 1 in troubleshooting is to verify that the NIC is in promiscuous
mode.  In general, if you run ifconfig, it should look like this for one of
the NICs on the host:
bce1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0
mtu 1500

PROMISC means promiscuous mode.

Step 2 is to verify that the NIC is seeing traffic.  This can be done
easily by running tcpdump like this: tcpdump -i bce1 (on most Linux boxes
it will be eth0 or eth1)

If you see traffic, you need to move on to verifying that snort is working.

Start snort in console mode with the Test switch - snort -T -c
/path/to/snort/confile

If there are any errors, they are usually self-explanatory.  E.g. ipvar not
found, missing semi-colon on line 129 of snort.rulefile, etc.

Fix all those errors until snort runs without errors.  If it's working
correctly, you should see this at the end:

Snort successfully validated the configuration!
Snort exiting

Once you have verified that 1) the NIC is listening and 2) the NIC sees
traffic and 3) snort runs without errors using your conf file, the only
thing left is the rules files you're using.

Remember, snort is an IDS.  It's designed to look for specific signatures.
If none are seen, there will be no alerts.

If you want to verify that snort will actually alert on something, then
write a simple test rule: alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"Testing";
rev:1; sid:1;).  This will alert for ALL traffic, so if there's any traffic
at all and snort is working properly, your logfile will grow quite large
very quickly.