Snort mailing list archives

Snort/Banyard2 Logging

From: Eric Luellen <eluellen () perimeterusa com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:33:53 +0000

Hello,

I need some help with my Snort/Barnyard2 setup. My goal is to have Snort send unified2 logs to Barnyard2 and then have
Barnyard2 send the data to other locations. Here is my current setup.

OS
- Scientific Linux 6

Snort Version
- 2.9.2.3

Barnyard2 Version
- 2.1.9

Snort command
- snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth2 &

Barnyard2 command
- /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -d /var/log/snort -f snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo
&

snort.conf
- output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128

barnyard2.conf
- output alert_syslog: host=127.0.0.1
- output database: log, mysql, user=snort dbname=snort password=password host=localhost

With this setup, barnyard2 is showing all of the correct information in the database and I'm using BASE to view it on
the web GUI. I was hoping to be able to send the full packet data to syslog with barnyard2 but after reading
around<http://serverfault.com/questions/330554/snort-not-logging-full-output-to-syslog>, it seems that it is impossible
to do that. So I then started trying to modify the snort.conf file and add lines like "output alert_full: alert.full".
This definitely gave me a lot more information but still not the full packet data like I want. So my question is, is
there any way I can use barnyard2 to send the full packet data of alerts to a human readable file? Since I can't send
it directly to syslog, I can create another process to take the data from that file and ship it off to another server.
If not, what flags and/or snort.conf configuration would you recommend to get the most data possible but still be able
to handle quite a bit of traffic? In the end of it all, these alerts will be shipped to a central server via a SSH
tunnel. I'm trying to stay away from databases and would like to get the type of output you get when you add the -v
flag and log to the console. However I don't want it for all traffic, just the alerts. Thanks in advance for any help.
snort-users () lists sourceforge net<mailto:snort-users () lists sourceforge net>

Eric Luellen, CISSP, GCED
Level II  Security Analyst
Perimeter E-Security
919.228.2523

--
 The sender of this email subscribes to Perimeter E-Security's email
 anti-virus service. This email has been scanned for malicious code and is