Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort/Banyard2 Logging

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:27:45 -0400

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Eric Luellen <eluellen () perimeterusa com> wrote:
Hello,

I need some help with my Snort/Barnyard2 setup. My goal is to have Snort
send unified2 logs to Barnyard2 and then have Barnyard2 send the data to
other locations. Here is my current setup.

OS
- Scientific Linux 6

Snort Version
- 2.9.2.3

Barnyard2 Version
- 2.1.9

Snort command
- snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth2 &

Barnyard2 command
- /usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -d /var/log/snort -f
snort.log -w /var/log/snort/barnyard.waldo &

snort.conf
- output unified2: filename snort.log, limit 128

barnyard2.conf
- output alert_syslog: host=127.0.0.1
- output database: log, mysql, user=snort dbname=snort password=password
host=localhost

With this setup, barnyard2 is showing all of the correct information in the
database and I'm using BASE to view it on the web GUI. I was hoping to be
able to send the full packet data to syslog with barnyard2 but after reading
around, it seems that it is impossible to do that. So I then started trying
to modify the snort.conf file and add lines like "output alert_full:
alert.full". This definitely gave me a lot more information but still not
the full packet data like I want. So my question is, is there any way I can
use barnyard2 to send the full packet data of alerts to a human readable
file? Since I can't send it directly to syslog, I can create another process
to take the data from that file and ship it off to another server. If not,
what flags and/or snort.conf configuration would you recommend to get the
most data possible but still be able to handle quite a bit of traffic? In
the end of it all, these alerts will be shipped to a central server via a
SSH tunnel. I'm trying to stay away from databases and would like to get the
type of output you get when you add the –v flag and log to the console.
However I don’t want it for all traffic, just the alerts. Thanks in advance
for any help.

Greetings Eric,

Barnyard 2-1.10 has the ability to send full packet over syslog

You can get it from there https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/tree/pre-stable

You could reach your objective by using the following configuration
line (adjust it for your setup)
# output log_syslog_full: sensor_name snortIds1-eth2, server
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, protocol udp, port 514, operation_mode complete
or
# output log_syslog_full: sensor_name snortIds1-eth2, server
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, protocol tcp, port 514, operation_mode complete

-elz