Snort mailing list archives

Re: don't interrupt traffic when snort inline crashes

From: Jaime Nebrera <jnebrera () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:29:58 +0200

   Hi Guillaume

We decided to use snort inline as an IPS.

We will deploy snort inline on network and we have one question about what will happen when machine or snort will
crash.

- If our machine crashes, we have a fail open card so traffic will be forward. (of course without IPS but we think
it's better to not interrupt network traffic)
- My question is if snort crashes, the bridge between our interface will be broken but the system will be up so fail
open card will not work as a bridge and we will lost every packets.

How could we resolve this issue to not interrupt traffic after snort crashes ?

   You need to control the state of the snort process either by an
external process or by the stats produced by it with a watchdog

   In case you detect something is wrong, you can enable the bypass
functionality of the card or divert the traffic to go directly through
the bridge without entering snort.