Snort mailing list archives

Re: don't interrupt traffic when snort inline crashes

From: "Guillaume Daleux" <guillaume.daleux () abovesecurity com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:22:07 -0400

Hi Kiet,

This is my configuration for my IPS, I have 3 interfaces :

- eth6 and eth7 which listens and sends packets
- eth4 for managing

When I launch snort, my snort run correctly and the bridge forwards
packet but when I stop snort, my packets are not forwarded.

So, I decided to add a system bridge with commands :

- brctl addbr bridge0
- brctl addif bridge0 eth6
- brctl addif bridge0 eth7
- ifconfig bridge0 up
- ifconfig eth6 up
- ifconfig eth7 up

My bridge worked without snort but when I launched snort it didn't works
and it was impossible to manage my IPS with eth4.

When I remove my system bridge and launch snort it works...

Is there a conflict between snort bridge and system bridge ?

Thanks for your help,

Guillaume