Snort mailing list archives

Re: Very high amount of "TCP Small Segment Threshold Exceeded"

From: "Castle, Shane" <scastle () bouldercounty org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:53:54 +0000

The short answer (IMHO) is that the preprocessor default settings are wrong, or at any rate not set to real-world TCP
traffic. I made three changes that stopped all of the TCP errors caused by SSH traffic.

In "preprocessor frag3_engine", change "min_fragment_length 100" to "min_fragment_length 80".

In "preprocessor stream5_tcp", remove "detect_anomalies".

In "preprocessor ssh", remove "enable_protomismatch".

Part of the issue I have is there is a TCP fragment-reassembling firewall that also deals with anomalous TCP behavior,
and the traffic it produces isn't always pleasing to Snort. Also, PuTTY will (in my experience) always produce the
protocol mismatch warnings from the SSH preprocessor.

I will continue to tune these settings but this is what I am using now, and so far it has removed all the TCP traffic
FPs I was getting.

You might want to set these one at a time and monitor the result before changing any of the others. Try changing just
the "min_fragment_length" first.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT