Snort mailing list archives

Very high amount of "TCP Small Segment Threshold Exceeded"

From: Giacomo <lib.giacomo () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:39:42 +1100

Hi there,

I recently started using Snort. After enabling the (default) preprocessor configuration I started receiving very large
amounts of events regarding stream5.
Since it is a server that is not being used for anything I assume this event is generated by my SSH connection. A
couple of topics have discussed this but none come with a very clear answer why this is occurring and how you can solve
it.
The only two suggestions I found was to change the max_tcp value in stream5_global or increase the memcap. But both of
these suggestions don't work. So I am wondering if any one of you has an idea why this is occurring and what I can do
about it.

Thanks.