Snort mailing list archives

Re: HELP ON SNORT

From: Dustin Webber <dustin.webber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 19:38:55 -0500

All,

Cliffnotes: Snorby is not an archive interface and can scale very well when used properly. Snorby is using NEW
technology and languages. (sorry?)

hhmm, impractical use for large amounts of alerts? Well, Snorby is not an archive interface and it's intend for
professionals that tune and know what they are looking for. I have heard these concerns as well and it always ended up
being someone who didn't tune their sensor and had 150k events every 30 minutes.

Listen, if someone can figure out how to scale this DB scheme to that amount of raw data and still build time based
metrics.. You should be working for the Google R&D team.. Because you obviously figured out and to do quantum storage /
processing.

Anyway, Snorby does require ruby.. yes, you will need to install ruby related things; get over it. (we can;t use php
and perl forever) - I built Snorby to scale if you use it properly and know what you're looking for.. it's not an
archive viewer but a NSM tool.

Hopefully this will clear up the confusing for new comers and `naysayers`. If you have more questions or concerns
regarding snorby.. simple use the demo.. and that should be enough to connivence you.

demo.snorby.org
user: snorby () snorby org
pass: snorby

- Dustin