Snort mailing list archives

rules update on 2.8

From: hermit () outofoptions com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:35:11 -0500

Long time lurker,

    I started a new position as systems administrator for a small
company and just caught up on 6 months of email sitting around in this
folder.  The company I currently work for uses snort so I decided to
catch up on the email and check the installation.  The old sysadmin
has a cron set up to pull rules nightly with:

http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/somegibberishhere/snortrules-snapshot-2.8.tar.gz

This fails.

[root@tan ~]# rpm -q snort
snort-2.8.5-1

Seems to be the latest available.

[root@tan ~]# yum update snort
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, security
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Skipping security plugin, no data
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update
[root@tan ~]#

[root@tan ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)
[root@tan ~]#

Is it safe to change "snapshot-2.8" to "snortrules-snapshot-2861.tar.gz"?

Thanks
Hermit