Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules update on 2.8

From: hermit () outofoptions com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:28:20 -0500

Nick,

The current install is on a production machine that I can't take much
risk with, that is why I was wondering if the last rule set for the
2.8 series was compatible with my rpm version.  Since the script that
pulls doesn't alert on failure I probably have a very old rule set
from the looks of it.

I'm looking at "Insta-Snorby" at the moment and thinking about
spinning that up on a VM as at least an interim measure.  The current
home grown solution analyses the logs nightly and sends an email of
possible events to look at every morning.  Seems a tad untimely.

Thanks for the input.
Hermit

Quoting Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>:

Hermit,

1. Your Snort version is out of date - we are currently on version 2.9.2.
Snort 2.8.6.1 is still on the web site for registered rule users, but will
be aged out in the next couple months.

2. I'd recommend using pulled pork over oinkmaster. There are several
guides available on setting it up online.

3. Yum and other package update mechanisms are not the best way to keep
Snort up to date. I have found that these frequently lag far enough behind
the current version that in some cases, they are using a no longer
supported version in their updates. I would instead recommend looking at it
manually whenever there is a new Snort release and recompiling.

Hope this helps and Happy Snorting!

Nick