Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about Inline mode

From: John Liss <john () lissproductions com>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 10:00:38 -0700

Helpful as they were, I still have the following questions.

When using either NFQ or the DAQ modules, are the interfaces bonded
together?  I completely understand that the Management interface is
assigned an IP Address, a gateway and a network (subnet mask).

What happens to the two interfaces used in inline mode?  If I place
the sensor inline, are the interfaces numbered?  DO I need to fully
provide networking (routing) between the interfaces?

With --daq afpacket, the pair of interfaces become a bridge.

Setup on ubuntu 10.04:

The interface setup:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
         up ifconfig $IFACE <your mgt ip> up

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
         up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
         up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
         down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
         down ifconfig $IFACE down

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
         up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
         up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
         down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
         down ifconfig $IFACE down

Running snort:
/usr/local/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i
eth1:eth2 -D

Network on eth1, becomes the same network on eth2, known as a bridge.

It works wonderfully and drops packets as advertised.

Does the inline mode require two interfaces?

Can Snort support multiple networks, simultaneously?  Does this reduce
the throughput capability of the monitor?
Inline requires two interfaces.

Internet  router <-> eth1 <- snort -> eth2 <-> firewall <-> internal.

Yes you can run multiple networks on a single box.
You just need enough horse power in the box for snort to keep up with
the traffic, and enough interfaces to act as bridges.

Example:  You have a monster box with 10 network cards in it, and enough
cpu/memory to run multiple instances of snort.
You would just run snort over the interfaces:

Network setup:
eth0 = management.
eth1:eth2 = first bridge.
eth3:eth4 = second bridge.
eth5:eth6 = third bridge.
eth7:eth8 = fourth bridge.
etc...

Snort setup:
/usr/local/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c /etc/snort/snort1.conf -i
eth1:eth2 -D
/usr/local/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c /etc/snort/snort2.conf -i
eth3:eth4 -D
/usr/local/bin/snort --daq afpacket -Q -c /etc/snort/snort3.conf -i
eth5:eth6 -D
etc...

I personally would still tend to lean towards 4 individual boxes in
production environments.  That way if you loose a box for whatever
reason, one network segment is only affected.

Development or test networks where traffic isn't critical, sure, toss
them all on one box.  (But who has one of those?  My networks are all
classified as must have up.)

-John
Multiple networks can be supported but of course band width is the
consideration here along with the strength of the Snort sensor. There
are better people on this list to answer than me but depending on the
size/bandwidth considerations you may want to consider using 4 sensors
that report to a main server for analysis. Like I said, others on this
list can help there as I have no experience here. Search the Google
Groups list too.
Four sensors and a Main Server is an exceptional idea.  Thank you for
that.

From reading the above sites listed, it would seem that afpacket is
the method to use for inline use.  Is there a consensus here?

Hope this serves at least as a start to answer your questions.
Bill