Snort mailing list archives

Question about Inline mode

From: "Albert E. Whale" <aewhale () ABS-CompTech com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:48:34 -0500

I have been asked to develop an IDS/IPS solution which can span multiple
zones behind a firewall.

While I have reservations in implementing a single box to become an
active sensor for IDS/IPS solutions on the networks.

 In addition to believing that this is the wrong strategy to use in
protecting internal networks (I am supposed to protect 4 internal
networks), I am not certain of the correct configuration of the host server.

In an Inline mode, are the network interfaces linked?  What network
configuration is required for IDS/IPS or inline configuration?

Does the inline mode require two interfaces?

Can Snort support multiple networks, simultaneously?  Does this reduce
the throughput capability of the monitor?

Thanks, I have deployed Snort before, but your answers will further
document my case.
--

Albert E. Whale, CHS CISA CISSP
Senior Technology & Security Director