Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort - VPS web server (Debian)

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:45:54 -0500

config detection: search-method ac-bnfa-q split-any-any
I'm not sure if lowmem actually has lower memory than ac-bnfa, anyone
care to confirm?

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM, johnny.venter <johnny.venter () zoho com> wrote:
Could you elaborate on using the "lightest memory setting for the fast pattern matcher"?

---- On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:00:54 -0700 Martin Holste<mcholste () gmail com> wrote ----

 > On such a small server and with such a specific use, I'm not sure
 > running Snort is the right tool for the job.  I think mod_security
 > with centralized logging would be a better fit, especially since it's
 > serving mostly static content.  That said, Snort should run ok, but
 > make sure you use the lightest memory setting for the fast pattern
 > matcher, and most importantly, that you only run signatures applicable
 > to the services it runs.  When you've done all that, what you'll end
 > up with is a system that will create alerts when it notices generic
 > web attacks and high-level HTTP violations, like the Apache range
 > vulnerability of late.  All of this will be less specific and more
 > resource-intensive than mod_security, which is why I recommend that
 > you just start with that to begin with.
 >
 > On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Johnny Venter <Johnny.Venter () zoho com> wrote:
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > I am looking for guidance/advice.
 > >
 > > I have a VPS server that is running Debian with Lighttpd and sendmail.  The memory is 256MB and the HD space is
10GB.

 > > The website I have is very light and mainly static content.
 > >
 > > Currently, I have iptables installed that permits port 80/443 inbound.
 > >
 > > I would like to install Snort on this VPS in IPS mode without bringing my system to a crawl.  I assume I can
disable the preprocessors that I will not need.  So I can just enable the web preprocessors?