Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort - VPS web server (Debian)

From: "johnny.venter" <johnny.venter () zoho com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:41:26 -0700

Could you elaborate on using the "lightest memory setting for the fast pattern matcher"?

---- On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:00:54 -0700 Martin Holste<mcholste () gmail com> wrote ----

On such a small server and with such a specific use, I'm not sure
running Snort is the right tool for the job.  I think mod_security
with centralized logging would be a better fit, especially since it's
serving mostly static content.  That said, Snort should run ok, but
make sure you use the lightest memory setting for the fast pattern
matcher, and most importantly, that you only run signatures applicable
to the services it runs.  When you've done all that, what you'll end
up with is a system that will create alerts when it notices generic
web attacks and high-level HTTP violations, like the Apache range
vulnerability of late.  All of this will be less specific and more
resource-intensive than mod_security, which is why I recommend that
you just start with that to begin with.