Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reliability of signatures

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:32:52 -0500

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>wrote:

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Jim Hranicky <jfh () ufl edu> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:13:12 -0600
Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com> wrote:

Seems like there'd almost need to be a central place that various
entities could report their findings. I know we've got rules that we
rely on heavily and work very well for us, but other than mailing
lists
there's no place to report our findings.

Hm, you mean like a vote up/down system like StackOverflow.com?  That
could be really interesting.  It would be very valuable to see what
others are finding to be helpful.

Sure, something like that - that would actually be very cool.

I like that idea too.  It'd make a lot of sense to integrate it into
snort.org - in fact there's probably a lot of data about Snort
detection performance, config options and rule quality we could put up
there.  Communication favors the defender...

I would think it would need to have some kind of automatic reporting method,
perhaps with manual commenting?

--
Joel Esler | 706-231-1451 | http://blog.snort.org | http://blog.clamav.net