Snort mailing list archives

Re: Reliability of signatures

From: Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell () secnap com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:36:25 -0500

On 2/4/11 10:23 AM, Martin Roesch wrote:
I like that idea too.  It'd make a lot of sense to integrate it into
snort.org - in fact there's probably a lot of data about Snort
detection performance, config options and rule quality we could put up
there.  Communication favors the defender...

Marty

(greets marty, long time no hear..)

We have thought of something like this also.
some type of 'CF' (confidence factor), users can enable/disable (oinkmaster,pulled pork, snort.conf module) based on CF and company policy.

Example: any rule with a CF of 100 (10?) how granular do you want to get?) would mean that 100% of the time, this rule does NOT FP!

if an inline/block/drop/ (fwsam) rule, it would always block, if in detection mode, always alert.

CF rule of 1 (1%) would almost NEVER block;/alert.

you could have different policies for block, alert.

say, maybe, block on everything with a CF of >90%, alert on anything with a CF > 50%.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
>*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r). For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/