Snort mailing list archives

Re: High FPs on New Stream5 Anomalies & Others

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:43:09 -0500

On 1/26/2011 13:24, Merida, Dylan wrote:
We have another IDS type box from Actiance (Recently changed their name from
FaceTime after selling it to Apple) that sprays TCP RSTs out at connections it
doesn't like; I suspect this may be causing the "Reset outside window" alert to
trigger and maybe the FIN number issues.

you may very well be seeing this type of activity... especially from certain
cable broadband suppliers who are trying to block or otherwise cause a hard time
for those using p2p crapplications... they are injecting such as this into the
stream so as to cause both ends of the connections to reset... this, of course,
causes those ends to simply try again and again and again actually increasing
traffic for a while until the software may finally move on to another IP for
those file segments it is looking for...