Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Question

From: Joe Pampel <jpampel () paladyne com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:00:28 -0500

You can always use snmp to catch the process not running.  The UCD library lets you define custom counters. Add
something like this to the end of your snmp.conf:

proc snort 1

Or whatever the number of snort processes should be if it's more than 1.

Restart SNMP and you will see the process counter OID as well as the alert OID which will indicate an issue.

This is easy to integrate into common monitoring systems and scales well if you run multiple snort instances on a box.

You can have a script poll for the value, and if it's < 1 send a syslog or an e-mail etc.

Do an snmpwalk on this oid: (using your correct version of snmp & community of course..)

snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.2

and you will see any custom counter OIDs you've made.