Snort mailing list archives

Snort Question

From: "Atkins, Dwane P" <ATKINSD () uthscsa edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:52:20 -0600

I am having an issue with the snort process stopping or going away and I am not sure how to determine why and when it
happens.  This time it appears to have stopped reporting and existing 2 days ago.

It does not appear that our log files are filling up nor was there a recycling of power done in that timeframe in that
area.

Is there a way to determine why the process has stopped and when?  When I do a ps -aux, there is a barnyard2 entry but
not a snort entry.

Is there a cron job that I can run to check for the snort process and if it is not discovered, restart it?

I am sure it is me that has done something incorrectly but my configurations seems to be extremely unreliable.  How do
I alert personnel via email if there is an issue?

Thank you all for your help.

Dwane