Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] Problems with new pulledpork 0.6.0 version

From: Kevin Ross <kevross33 () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:46:44 +0100

No I don't think so. In 0.5.0 of pulled pork I had the file like
scada.rules,1:XXXXX,1:XXXXX,emerging-scada.rules etc then it did not like
that when I went to 0.6.0. I tried changing the text to match the new format
(i.e ET-scada, ET-emerging-scada, ET-scada.rules etc) but none of them
worked and I still get the error. When I removed all non-numerical stuff
from the file (you can have it on seperate lines) it works. No idea if the
way to define an entire rule file is now something else or it is a bug.

Pulledpork is a great rule management tool though because it handles all the
current rule files (i.e ET, ETPRO, VRT etc) including shared object rules.
Also it is handy that it generates a sid-msg.map file itself which is
important if you are using barnyard (which you should be) so when you look
at alerts you don't just get a SID.