Snort mailing list archives

Re: command line options...

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:48:55 -0400

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>wrote:

On 9/24/2010 11:21, Russ Combs wrote:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net
<mailto:wkitty42 () windstream net>> wrote:

    On 9/23/2010 20:22, Russ Combs wrote:

     > On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
     >
     >     On 9/23/2010 16:22, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
     > > It's definitely in the config.log in the directory where you ran
     >     configure/make if you still have that around.
     >
     >     yes, actually, i do still have that on the devel box with its
     >     "unique" build environment... thanks to you and others who
have
     >     responded... i was hoping that there was a command line option
     >     so that those who get/use pre-compiled versions of snort would
     >     have a method of listing them...
     >
     > You can also run:
     >
     > pkg-config --cflags snort

    i don't have pkg-config available in my environment...

http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/

dunno about this... the environment i work in is a very stripped firewall
distribution... even the development stuff is very stripped with just
enough of
the necessary stuff to build its own tool chain, compile its apps/libs and
create its installation ISOs... while adding stuff to it is "fairly"
trivial, it
doesn't always work but that depends on what that stuff is...

thanks for the pointer, though... i may come in handy one day...

     > etc.  If snort.pc is in an unusual place, set this:

    however, i do have this snort.pc file and was looking at it
earlier... i can say
    that it is much easier to read in raw format than config.log ;)

    so, can you or anyone else say what the defaults are in snort if none
of the
    "VRT recommended compile options" are used?

./configure --help should hint at which are enabled / disabled.  For
example:

   --enable-ipv6            Enable IPv6 support
   --disable-corefiles      Prevent Snort from generating core files

indicate that ip6 is disabled by default and corefiles are enabled by
default.

nonononono... i was speaking of what snort gets compiled with as default
when no
--enable-blah stuff is specified... /that's/ what i consider "default"...
having
to add --enable-blah stuff is customized ;)

However, that being just help text, you are better off examining
configure.log
or snort.pc for the definitive answer.

yes... but it shows what is passed... not what the base defaults are
without
--enable-blah stuff...

anyway, back to trying to figure out why we now have three snort processes
when
we used to only have one... we're testing these compile time options...

  --enable-gre
  --enable-mpls
  --enable-targetbased
  --enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules
  --enable-ppm
  --enable-perfprofiling
  --enable-zlib
  --enable-reload

You have three because of the reload option.  (I thought it was two tho,
maybe Russ can answer back).

previously, there were no --enable-blah options passed... the memory
footprint
usage is also a bit more than we had before but we'll get to that as we
move
thru our testing and digging ;)