Snort mailing list archives

Re: Recommended NFS configuration to store snort logs

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 18:00:20 -0400

On 9/24/2010 13:50, carlopmart wrote:
Castle, Shane wrote:
I'm sorry; I can't recommend using NFS for anything, much less real-time
writing of high-output logs.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT

OK, then what type of storage is recommended to centralize all logs?? iSCSI??

syslog to a central syslog server for text logs... other's use sql databases and
feed them via IP sockets... it all depends on your needs and usage, really... in
my environment, we don't use any logs or databases other than snort's standard
alert file... then again, we're not aggregating numerous sniffers in the product
i'm working with ;)