Snort mailing list archives

Re: [AUTO IP] Re: [AUTO IP] Re: Question about content

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:45:44 -0600

Paul, the PCRE was used to demonstrate the end of string matching, as
previously suggested by Matt.  The content match on "GET " with a depth
of 4 was used to anchor the signature to an HTTP method, since the
signature offered was used as an example centered around HTTP.  It was
further suggested that http_method should be used and/or the addition of
the nocase; argument to ensure non-RFC compliant matching.  The useful
information was contained in the PCRE, if anything you should be
screaming about the \d+ instead of just AAAA$, [A]{4}$, or A{4}$ but
then again, there seems to be little merit to your gripe to begin with.

Ideally I was hoping the OP would reply and better clarify exactly what
type of data/application they are attempting to inspect so a signature
with greater precision could be constructed.  What was offered was not
an answer to homework but sufficient information to craft the necessary
signature, by example, for the OP's requirements.

In the future I'll be sure to run replies through you since you've been
a wealth of help to the OP here.  An ip rule with a PCRE-only is going
to be a costly rule, but I'm sure you already knew that.

-evilghost

Paul Schmehl wrote:
I saw that.  The point is, you didn't come close to answering the OP's
question.  Forget the assumptions you made, you looked for a word 4 bytes into
the packet.  That wasn't what he asked for.  He asked how he could find the
pattern at_the_end_of_the_packet without knowing the packet length.

The rest is irrelevant.