Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about content

From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists () tx rr com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:53:46 -0600

Speaking of rocks and glass houses, you really should read before responding to
someone.

The OP asked "I want to detect the last word in the content
for exemple if I have this bytes: ....1245643577AAAA
how can I verify that it contains "AAAA" at the end without knowing the total
size of bytes"

Your rule assumes the content is 4 bytes in.  It also assumes that the content
will come in a GET request using the protocol http, none of which the OP
specified.

Now, tell us how you could detect the last_four_bytes in *any* packet.  Maybe
then you'll get an A for more than effort and help the OP with his homework in
the process.  As it is, you've earned him a failing grade for not reading the
assignment correctly.

I'll give you a hint.  Since the question doesn't specify protocol *or*
directionality, you would start with:

alert ip any any -> any any.

The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.  If you can answer the question
"how can I know how many bytes there are in a packet", you're halfway there.