Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about content

From: "evilghost () packetmail net" <evilghost () packetmail net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:47:08 -0600

I have issues with someone shooting from the hip making accusations of
"It's a homework assignment".  SF must have some type of dousing rod and
divining pendulum that they use to determine the motive behind a
question.  It looked like a valid non-homework question and the OP got
jumped by three SF heroes.

I did not use http_method because the author did not indicate their
version.  I'm not really sure if I prefer the content-only match coupled
with a depth statement or http_method.

Matt, since you offered, here's one I pointed out:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=4ACBA83C.7090505%40packetmail.net

If SF is going to publicly insult participants on this list, either
subtly or directly, my comments will be public as well.  The trading of
insults privately does sound like fun though, feel free to mail me directly.

-evilghost

Matt Olney wrote:
Mr. Ghost,

This list has a long standing policy of not doing homework for people.
 This maintains the integrity of the educational process and cuts down
on unnecessary questions on the list.

But, since you put together a rule, some commentary:

Actually the rule performance of this would be pretty good.  4
sequential As is a fairly unique content match in HTML traffic.
Because this is the longest content match in your rule, it will be
placed into the fast pattern matcher.  However, that being said, if
you're going to require this be a GET request, I'd consider using the
following construct:

content:"GET"; http_method; nocase;

This constrains the GET to the http_method buffer, created by the
http_inspect preprocessor.  However, http_inspect does not normalize
this buffer, and the match is case sensitive, so you need to ensure
that it is nocased.  Note this is also true for uricontent, so when
protecting servers with case insensitive matching or when writing
rules for servers of unknown type, always use the uricontent in
combination with the nocase modifier.

Other than that, that is a sold rule.  I particularly like the check
for the AAAA even though the pcre includes it.  In a rule where a
different pattern was in the fast pattern matcher, this might
potentially save an unnecessary call to the PCRE engine.

Now, both you and Guise have demonstrated that you have a problem with
Sourcefire.  I'm fine with that, and I'm fine with trading monkey
insults with you privately.  However, I'd ask that you try and keep a
somewhat genial approach to this list.

Finally, if there are VRT rules you have an issue with you have two choices:

1)  You can bitch here about unnamed rules that make you laugh.
2)  Or you can name a SID here, and call us out and point to details.

I'm more than willing to defend the VRT ruleset.  A lot of very smart
people with some very good data have put it together.  We understand
how the internals of the Snort engine work, we have a great deal of in
house expertise and external intelligence feeds, we work to balance
performance and detection quality.  After that we test our ruleset.
If there is a problem, I want to know about it.

As a matter of fact, I'll make you a deal, you name a SID, detail your
issues and if I wrote it and there is something wrong I'll own up to
it.  If I didn't write it, I'll fix it and explain the changes so the
list as a whole learns something.  I'm proud of my work here, I'm
humbled to be able to work with the quality folks both in the VRT and
in Sourcefire as a whole.

Matthew Olney
Research Engineer
Sourcefire VRT

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:47 AM, evilghost () packetmail net