Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] TCP Portals: The Handshake's a Lie!

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:46:51 -0600

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 12:54 -0500, Jason Brvenik wrote:
Or systems that run 30 year old TCP stacks :)

/me thinks if that were the case they would be having problems today.

/me nods

my though here is not what should be happening but if a poorly
designed / implemented system in an effort to accommodate this valid
behavior might well let ip:80 -> ip:7627 establish a session much like
a poorly implemented system that doesn't recognize
SYN/[PSH,URG,ETC...] can establish state with some stacks.

Well, if ipA:80->ipB:7627 is in response to ipB:7627 sending a SYN to
ipA:80, then it would be correct. Note that the SYN doesn't establish
the sessions. You still require an ACK from both sides.

thanks for the education in flow handling, it was not clear to me :)

Well, I'm glad you learned something ;)

I know you know this. It was for the benefit of other readers. I'd like
to flesh things out so other can visualize what's happening to remain on
"the same page".

And an IPS has an entirely different set of actions it can take. My
point here is that if your systems are designed that an attack against
the IDS using this method is possible ( knowing all of the other
hurdles ) you have bigger problems.

I'm not aware of other problems though. Except running 30 year old
stuff? :)

Cheers,
Frank