Snort mailing list archives

Re: TCP Portals: The Handshake's a Lie!

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:37:49 -0500

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:11 PM, CunningPike <cunningpike () gmail com> wrote:

I haven't seen much commentary on this:
http://www.breakingpointsystems.com/community/blog/tcp-portals-the-three-way-handshake-is-a-lie.
Do any of the snort sigs or preprocessors rely on a SYN/ACK packet for state
and/or flow?

Hi there,

Stream5 handles the TCP handshaking for the system, I don't think that
anything else in the codebase cares about the TWH.  I'd have to read the
code and maybe turn on the debug statements to understand the full effect, I
know at least some of the state handling handles the SYNs and ACKs
separately but there could be issues with things like midstream pickups and
so on.

Marty