Snort mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Header

From: Albert Gonzalez <albertg () cerveau us>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:45:11 -0400

Edurne,

The existing protocol keywords work with both IPv4/6. You can use BPF to
control (via filters) whether your sensor only sees one or both
protocols while sensing.

You can specify IPv6 based addresses within your rulesets which can
further assist in identifying the traffic and potential malicious
activity. On top of that you can also specify the `ip_proto` option
within your ruleset. And as of the Snort 2.8.4 release support was added
to the frag3 preprocessor and various application level preprocessors
(SMTP, FTP, DCE/RPC, Portscan, etc...) so that provides more extensive
protection across the platform.

I hope this helps with your questions, I have provided some links which
reference what it seems you are interested in and attempting to tackle.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2009/04/new-snort-release-with-ipv6-su.html
http://marc.info/?l=snort-devel&m=121935131920776&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=snort-devel&m=121975623105073&w=2

Cheers,

-
Albert Gonzalez
http://blog.cerveau.us
"Success comes to the person who does today, what you are thinking of doing tomorrow."