Snort mailing list archives

Re: BASE/Barnyard2

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:45:31 -0400

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Richard Lichvar <rlichvar () sainc com>wrote:

 More newbie questions:

1.       How can I tell what version of Snort a predecessor installed?

Snort -V on the command line.

2.       I’ve heard that Barnyard/Barnyard2 is no longer needed for Snort.
True? What has replaced it? (We have barnyard installed and determining if
we even need to upgrade to Barnyard2 if it is no longer needed.)

Its still needed, and highly recommended.

3.       With Snort already installed (CentOS 5.3), what else is needed to
install BASE? (I’m looking at the step-by-step Snort/BASE installation
instructions on howtoforge.com.) What version(s) of Snort will BASE
1.4.3.1 work with?

I think you need adodb.  Mysql too.  Snort works with all versions of BASE.

-- Joel Esler | Sourcefire | Google Voice: 302-223-5974