Snort mailing list archives

Re: Building snort-inline from CVS

From: Edward Bjarte Fjellskål <edward.fjellskal () redpill-linpro com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:43:22 +0200

Will Metcalf wrote:
I will see if I can find some time to fix in the next couple of days.
Although I have said it before and I will say it again,  the clamav
preproc was experimental, and after some experimentation we found that
really doesn't work that well because clamav is expecting to scan a
file, not a packet payload with headers/protocol data.

I played with tcpxtract a while back:
http://www.gamelinux.org/?p=22

The idea was to have tcpxtract carve out files, and have clamav scan
them. tcpxtract segfaultet after a while, so I haven't looked into it
lately.

For programmers, there might be something to learn from:
http://tcpxtract.sourceforge.net/
in order to pass files and not packets to clamav ?

 Not only that
but you have problems with anything bigger than 65k bytes etc.  for
the clamav preproc to be effective a lot of work would have go into
writing protocol decoders which neither Victor or I have the cycles
for.  If you want AV protection in http I suggest that you look at
HAVP it works quite well.  http://www.server-side.de/

Regards,

Will