Snort mailing list archives

New member, 3 quick questions

From: r s <wera711 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:30:44 -0400

Hi,

New to snort and I just instaleld 2.8.2.2 on my BSD box. I have read a lot
of documentation over the past 2 days and had a few quick questions:

1.  what is the most common way to run snort? I have been running it as
such:
./snort -de -h 192.168.3.0/24 -c
/usr/ports/security/snort/work/snort-2.8.2.2/etc/snort.conf

I normally keep a separate session open with a tail -f /var/log/snort/alert

Is there a better way to do this? I have heard you can run snort as a daemon
so that it runs in the background. If I do it this way, will it still
continue to run if I close the session? Do I simply append a "-D" at the end
of my command line to run it in the background?

2. What do dynamic modules do? Just a quick definition is what I'm looking
for.

3. Preprocessors: Are they used to expand upon snort and do in depth
inspection that the regular rules cannot do? They are used alongside the
regular rules?

Thank you