Snort mailing list archives

Re: Building snort-inline from CVS

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:44:25 -0400

Hi Ilo,

There are two reasons we don't automatically integrate Snort and
ClamAV.  One is performance, Clam isn't designed for real-time (high
throughput/low latency) operation and it's not designed to operate on
streams like you commonly see on networks.  Conversely, Snort isn't
designed to spool full files to a process like Clam so at best you're
only going to get kilobytes of data to work with.

I'm not saying it *can't* work (or even that it's not a good idea) but
it doesn't work optimally for either engine and there hasn't been the
level of demand that has either team thinking that it's a high
priority project.

Marty