Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and squid

From: "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99 () gmx de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:14:09 +0100

Of course Snort will inspect the traffic.  However, to view the internal
ip, if the proxy
is rewriting the Source IP, then it's a limitation.

If your intention is other, please clarify.  I'm afraid I am not sure I
understand what
you are asking then.

It shouldn't matter if I inspect traffic from the proxy to the webserver or
from the client to the proxy, the content should be the same.

But - I put snort on the proxy and changed HTTP_PORTS to 3128. I use the
same snort.conf for the external sensor and for the sensor on the proxy.

Now, what happens is, that I hit certain rules (e.g. SHELLCODE x86 NOOP,
Invalid FTP Command, and some more, so the sensor itself is working fine)
but I do not hit the porn or policy rules. I can wireshark the traffic from
the client to the proxy, I see the words 'porn' or 'masturbate' or whatever
in cleartext but snort does not hit some rules at all.

At the same time the rules for porn or policy *are* hit on the external
sensor.

So now I wonder why the external sensor hits the rules while the sensor on
the proxy does not. Althought I use exactly the same snort.conf except of
HTTP_PORTS.

Hope that clarifies. :)

Helmut