Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and squid

From: "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99 () gmx de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:26:51 +0100

From: "Joel Esler" <joel.esler () sourcefire com>

You have two options.  Correlate the events with the logs from your  Squid
proxy, or move the Snort sensor inside the proxy.

The second sensor *is* on the proxy.

Sometimes (and right now I can't remember if Squid does it) it will  add a
header to the http that says "X-Forwarded-For" or similar that

X-Forwared-For is disabled of course. :)

will have the IP of the actual client.  However, like I said, I can't
remember if Squid does that for you, and that would be the only way  that
you can see the IP behind the proxy.

So, snort (or the current ruleset) is not able to inspect certain squid
traffic? As I replied to Paul, some things are caught (e.g. SHELLCODE x86
NOOP, Invalid FTP Command, and some more) but not the policy or porn
traffic.