Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.6.1.3 ignoring stream4

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:24:09 -0400

Paul,

Just a question, we'll have to look at this more intensly, but try
config detection: search-method ac-bnfa

Joel

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:52:03PM -0400, it looks like Paul Melson sent me:
After upgrading from 2.6.0 to 2.6.1.3 Snort is using a much greater
amount of CPU and memory.  After looking at perfmonitor output, it
seems to be maxing out at ~ 8K sessions pretty much 24/7 despite the
following in snort.conf:

preprocessor stream4: disable_evasion_alerts, server_inspect_limit
300, memcap 209715200, max_sessions 2048

It seems to be ignoring max_sessions and memcap both.  Any body else
run across this issue?  It's causing the sensor to peak at around 20%
packet loss during high traffic periods.

Thanks,
PaulM

Joel Esler                                          Security Consultant