Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.6 working with Snortsam, Redhat and a Cisco ASA

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:16:47 -0400

On 4/5/07, Lang, Robert <Robert.Lang () suny edu> wrote:
Has anyone had any luck getting rule blocking working with Snortsam and
a Cisco ASA?  It works like a charm with our Watchguard Firewall, but
with our PIX/ASA I always get a message that says "Error: [pix] Did not
receive a response waiting for logon prompt from PIX at x.x.x.x".

Using telnet to manage firewalls?  Tsk-tsk.  :-)

The problem is either that:

1) Cisco routers and firewalls by default skip the standard "login:"
prompt most telnet servers offer up and go right to "Password:"  Use
the 'pix' directive in your snortsam conf file instead:

pix 10.0.0.1 [telnetpass] [enablesecret] [config]

2) You *are* using the pix directive and you have AAA user
authentication turned on on the PIX and it *is* generating a "login:"
prompt.  Use:

pix 10.0.0.1 [user]/[password] [enablesecret] [config]

Seriously, though, I would consider building Snort with flexresp and
modifying those rules that pertain to you to fire off ICMP type 3 or
TCP RST packets that will cause whatever firewall to drop the
connection.  Then you can turn telnet off. :-)

PaulM