Snort mailing list archives

Re: Base Configuration!

From: Zakai Kinan <titanyen2000 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:56:16 -0700 (PDT)

I meant to ask if mysql has to be running on the
firewall box for snort to log remotely.  Keep in mind
that snort is also installed on the firewall.

Regards,

ZK

--- Guillaume Arcas <guillaume.arcas () free fr> wrote:

Selon Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>:

2. Can base be installed and work properly on a
different server?  Let me clarify:  the snort
firewall
will send its logs to a database server and
base will
be installed on a different server.

Sure.  All base needs is to know where the db
is, what its name is and what
the login credentials are.

I am reading this as 3 servers, right?  Just to
clarify?

That's also what I understood.

And if by "Does mysql have to be running for snort
to send its logs to a
different server?" Zakai meant "directly logging in
the MySQL DB without
additional tools like banyard", the answer is yes.

Regards,

Guillaume Arcas - [http://yom.retiaire.org]

"Je cherche un ailleurs, mais pas trop loin d'ici."
(Sempé)

Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support
web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated
technology to make your job easier
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1
based on Apache Geronimo

http://mail.yahoo.com