Snort mailing list archives

Re: Base Configuration!

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:06:38 -0500

--On Friday, September 15, 2006 10:01:09 -0700 Zakai Kinan <titanyen2000 () yahoo com> wrote:

1. I read that I only need the client portion of my
mysql to be installed in order for snort to be able to
log to a remote mysql server.  Is this assumption
correct?

Yes, but I would suggest that you have snort log unified logs and then use barnyard to "talk to" the remotely hosted database.

2. Can base be installed and work properly on a
different server?  Let me clarify:  the snort firewall
will send its logs to a database server and base will
be installed on a different server.

Sure. All base needs is to know where the db is, what its name is and what the login credentials are.

3. Does mysql have to be running for snort to send its
logs to a different server?

No.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer