Snort mailing list archives

Comparison of freebsd and linux [was: snort packet loss rate}

From: "Jin Fang" <jin.fang () utoronto ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:13:37 -0400

Hello,

I have finally worked out this issue.

I now have some comparisons for two platforms:
(All hardware specification are the same)

   Box F1                Box F2                Box L1
   (Freebsd 5.2.1)    (Freebsd 5.2.1)    (Linux 2.6.9)

drop:~80%            ~80%                ~80%

After I made following changes on F1 and L1

on F1
1. enable device_polling
2. disable hyperthreading
3. disable smp and leave only 1 cpu
4. enlarge libpcap memory usage
5. downgrade libpcap.0.9.4 to 0.8.3 and
  change the source code

on L1:
1. Install mmap libpcap

The results are:
  Box F1                Box F2                Box L1
   (Freebsd 5.2.1)    (Freebsd 5.2.1)    (Linux 2.6.9)

drop:~80%            ~80%                ~50%

With no rules and no preprocessors ,they are:

  Box F1                Box F2                Box L1
peak:0.1%              21%                    0.05%

And on the linux 2.6.9, I disabled about half rules
which don't have any content (Those basically are
rules firing alarms on syn packet to predefined network)

Now, packet rate remain under 0.1%

So the problems lie with libpcap things and performance
of snort itself (rules without content).

Thanks everybody for your help.
I would appreciate if this can bring up attention to snort
people as those no content rules are definitely effective to
us but sluggish performance.
Jin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Heath" <jheath () sourcefire com>